Quickly exchange EDI documents.
Data is the fuel. But for it to energize your business, it has to move. Power your most critical business exchanges and securely connect to your customers, suppliers, and partners via industry-leading AS2 from Cleo.
What is AS2?
AS2, or Applicability Statement 2, allows users to facilitate critical business processes including EDI exchanges or other data, such as XML, CSV, or plain text documents, over the internet. Through a client-server relationship for point-to-point connectivity, AS2 creates an “envelope” for sensitive business data, allowing it to be sent securely.
By implementing AS2 instead of a VAN, a company can directly reduce its operational expenditures on data exchange with a more immediate benefit to the bottom line than increasing revenues.
A Brief History of the AS2 Protocol
- Developed in the U.S. by the Uniform Code Council (UCC).
- Much of the success of AS2 has been seen in America, notably the retail sector.
- A large influence behind the adoption of AS2 was in 2002 when retail giant Walmart mandated its 10,000 suppliers use AS2 to exchange EDI data with them directly.
- Today, AS2 is used widely across a large number of industries.
Compare AS2 and FTP
Industry mandates directing the use of one protocol or technology versus another often arise from the history of implementation, industry use, and market penetration. To illustrate, we’ll compare one advanced protocol and the VAN:
The VAN was conceived in the early stages of electronic communication
AS2 is a modern file-based integration and EDI protocol
The VAN acts like a post office for routing business transactions
AS2 allows your business to go direct
Why Choose Cleo?
• Encrypted connections: Ensure non-repudiation and data protection for any standard or industry-specific protocol, such as AS2/SFTP/ebMS - tested by the Drummond Group.
• Compliance made easy: Meet extensive data format standards with sweeping format handling and data translation conforming to international, national, state/provincial, local and industry regulations.
Compare over 20 secure file transfer protocols
B2B/EDI protocol comparison guide
Explore additional connectors
(Select filter below)
From cost to control, there are many upsides to switching from using a VAN in your business ecosystem. Learn of four distinct advantages.
The unique requirements of your business ecosystem call for unique data movement and connection capabilities. Get an in-depth view of over 20 integration protocols.