EDI 945 - Warehouse Shipping Advice
The EDI 945 Warehouse Shipping Advice is used by warehouses to provide confirmation of a shipment was made to a trading partner. Learn about EDI 945s by reading the guide below.
If you need to send or receive EDI 945s, contact our team of EDI experts.
What is an EDI 945 Warehouse Shipping Advice?
The EDI 945 is the Warehouse Shipping Advice transaction set, which replaces a paper invoice, giving a confirmation of a shipment. An EDI 945 transaction is utilized by a warehouse so it can notify a trading partner when a shipment is made.
How is an EDI 945 Warehouse Shipping Advice used?
The EDI 945 Warehouse Shipping Advice transaction set is transmitted by a third-party, remote warehouse to inform a supplier that the shipment has been sent out to the end-user. The 945 is sent immediately after the Warehouse Shipping Order: EDI 940. After the 945 is received, a 997 Functional Acknowledgement is sent back from the supplier to the warehouse indicating that the notification was received.
Example EDI 945 transaction exchange:
Because the EDI 945 is sent in response to an EDI 940, you can start to understand the traditional order for this data exchange.
Here is an example of where the EDI 945 fits in within the transaction series:
- First, an EDI 940 Warehouse Shipping Oder is sent by a supplier to a 3PL provider to formally request shipment of goods from a remote warehouse to the supplier's (buyer's) location
- The third-party logistics provider sends the EDI 943 Advanced Shipment Notice to a remote warehouse, informing the supplier that a transfer shipment has been made from the manufacturer.
- Finally, the series is completed after an EDI 945 Warehouse Shipping Advice transaction is sent to provide confirmation of a shipment. The EDI 945 informs the trading partner a shipment was made.
EDI 945 Transaction File
Common information in the EDI 945 transaction includes:
Ship-from and ship-to information
Date shipment commenced
Payment type information
Method of transportation
Shipping service level (one-day, two-day, overnight)
Here is an EDI 945 Transaction within Cleo Integration Cloud
EDI 945 Specification
This X12 Transaction Set contains the format and establishes the data contents of the Warehouse Shipping Advice Transaction Set (945) for use within the context of an Electronic Data Interchange (EDI) environment. The transaction set can be used by the warehouse to advise the depositor that shipment was made. It is used to reconcile order quantities with shipment quantities.
Accredited Standards Committee X12. ASC X12 Standard [Table Data]. Data Interchange Standards Association, Inc., Falls Church, VA. https://x12.org/index.php/products/transaction-sets
Modern EDI Services with Cleo
Choose the EDI Services package that best fits your business:
1. Create and deploy your own integrations using Cleo's intuitive, self-service design platform.
2. Utilize Cleo's EDI managed services team to design and build your integrations.
3. Blend our EDI expertise and your business knowledge together in any manner that suits your use case.