EDI 204: Motor Carrier Load Tender
What is an EDI 204: Motor Carrier Load Tender?
The EDI 204 is a Motor Carrier Load Tender. It is utilized by shippers to tender an offer for a shipment to a full truckload motor carrier. The EDI load tender can be used to create a new shipment, update or replace a shipment, or cancel a shipment.
How is an EDI 204: Motor Carrier Load Tender used?
The EDI 204: Motor Carrier Load Tender is sent to the transportation provider by the shipper. Shippers, the senders of EDI 204s, may include manufacturers, distribution centers, wholesalers, or any other organization that handles and ships goods.
An EDI 204 transaction provides detailed pick-up and delivery information to the carrier for a load, mostly for a single pick-up location.
What other transactions are used alongside the EDI 204?
After an EDI 204 is sent by the shipper, this initial interaction will set off a set of EDI transactions in response:
- EDI 204 tenders an offer for a shipment to a carrier
- The carrier responds with an EDI 990 Response to a Load Tender transaction set, indicating whether it accepts or declines the offer to tender a shipment
- If the tender is accepted by the carrier, the carrier will then send an EDI 214 Shipment Status Report to inform the shipper of pick-up and delivery information.
- Finally, an EDI 210 Motor Carrier Freight Details and Invoice is sent by the carrier to the shipper or consignee to request payment for freight charges. The EDI 210 replaces a paper invoice.
EDI 204 Format
Common information in the EDI 204 transaction includes:
Shipper and receiver identification like names, addresses, and vendor ID numbers
Information on consignees
Scheduling information, including pickup and delivery window, along with any unique pickup or delivery requirements
Requirements for equipment such as truck length or carriage size
Load details, including lading qualities, dimensions, and weight
Here is an EDI 204 Transaction within Cleo Integration Cloud
EDI 204 Specification
This X12 Transaction Set contains the format and establishes the data contents of the Motor Carrier Load Tender Transaction Set (204) for use within the context of an Electronic Data Interchange (EDI) environment. This transaction set can be used to allow shippers or other interested parties to offer (tender) a shipment to a full load (truckload) motor carrier including detailed scheduling, equipment requirements, commodities, and shipping instructions pertinent to a load tender. It is not to be used to provide a motor carrier with data relative to a Less-than-Truckload bill of lading, pickup notification, or manifest.
Accredited Standards Committee X12. ASC X12 Standard [Table Data]. Data Interchange Standards Association, Inc., Falls Church, VA. https://x12.org/index.php/products/transaction-sets
Modern EDI Services with Cleo
Choose the EDI Services package that best fits your business:
1. Create and deploy your own integrations using Cleo's intuitive, self-service design platform.
2. Utilize Cleo's EDI managed services team to design and build your integrations.
3. Blend our EDI expertise and your business knowledge together in any manner that suits your use case.